Recipes from your friends are the best ones, aren’t they? My very good friend Michelle makes the most amazing crockpot fajitas. I remember her making these for me all the time when she lived in Colorado. She shared her recipe with me long ago, sadly I don’t have it written down anymore but I have been cooking it from memory ever sense. I am sure the recipe has adjusted a little bit, but it is still a go to in our home and so delicious!!
A couple of years ago, Michelle moved to Northern California. Even tho she isn’t close in distance, she is the best at making you feel special. She is the QUEEN of handwritten cards to everyone in our family. She also does such a great job of coming to visit. She is a life long friend to both my mama and I. We love you Michelle 🙂
2-3 lbs. Chicken Breast or Chicken Tenders
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons (or a drizzle) of Canola/Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Fresh Garlic or Garlic Powder
Sprinkle of Salt and Pepper
2 Tablespoons Cummin Powder
1- Medium White Onion (cut into strips)
1- Red Bell Pepper
1-Yellow Bell Pepper
Drizzle of Canola/Vegetable Oil
1-Tablespoon Fresh Garlic
Salt and Pepper
*My husband likes to drizzle in a little bit of soy sauce when he makes this for us. I have to admit, it caramelizes the onions well and is delicious!
Street Size or Taco Size Flour Tortillas
- Add all crockpot ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Until the chicken is tender and you are able to shred it. If you choose frozen chicken, drain the liquid prior to shredding the chicken.
- Once chicken is shredded it is time to prepare the onions and bell peppers. Wash peppers and remove stem/seeds. Slice both.
- Heat cast iron or skillet with oil. Add fresh garlic when heated. Brown garlic until lightly golden and you smell the aroma of the garlic.
- Add sliced onion and bell pepper. (If you are adding soy sauce add this now)
- Cook until onions are caramelized and peppers are tender.
- Assemble tacos with flour tortillas, chicken, onions/bell peppers, sour cream, cheese and sliced avocado. Enjoy!!
Thank you Michelle for inspiring a go to meal in our house! I always think of you when I am cooking this delicious dish!